CHARLESTON, W.Va. ─ The West Virginia Coal Association convened its 45th annual West Virginia Mining Symposium Jan. 30 and celebrated the safety achievements of mining industry operations across the state.
“It is an honor for us to present these awards and recognize companies that are leading the way in keeping miners and other workers safe,” said Coal Association Senior Vice President Chris Hamilton. “Our industry will not stop striving for perfection in safety. The goal always has been and always will be zero incidents.”
Inspectors with the West Virginia Office of Miners’ Health, Safety and Training evaluate all coal operations and contractors to select the winners. Deputy Director Eugene White presented the awards.
The Mountaineer Guardian Safety Awards presented during the Symposium’s Tuesday luncheon are:
- Eustace E. Frederick Milestone Safety Award for underground coal mines:
- ACI Tygart Valley, Leer Mine
- Bart B. Lay Jr. Milestone Safety Award for surface coal mines:
- Marfork Coal Company Inc., Workman Surface Mine
- Special Recognition Award
- Tunnel Ridge LLC, Tunnel Ridge Preparation Plant
- The Harrison County Coal Co., Harrison County Mine
- Mettiki Coal, WV LLC, Mettiki E Mine
- Tunnel Ridge Mine, Tunnel Ridge LLC
- Sentinel Mine, Wolf Run Mining Company
- XMV Inc., Mine No. 42
- Aracoma Coal Co., Cedar Grove 2 Mine
- Greenbrier Minerals, Powellton Mine
- Nicholas Contura LLC, Jerry Fork Eagle Mine
- Kingston Mining Inc., Kingston No. 1 Mine
- Gray Hawk Surface Mine, Extra Energy Inc.
- Little Seam Mining, Newhall Surface Mine
- Greenbrier Minerals, Toney Fork Surface Mine
- Phoenix Coal Mac, Holden No. 22 Surface Mine
- Anderson Excavating
- Rish Equipment Company
- Cowin & Company
- Tyler Trucking Company LLC
- Star Service LLC, Switchback Loadout
- Mingo Logan Coal Company, Cardinal Prep Plant
- Greenbrier Minerals, Saunders Prep Plant
- Elk Run Coal Co. LLC, Beckley Pocahontas Prep Plant
- ICG Beckley LLC, Beckley Pocahontas Prep Plant
- Panther Creek Mining LLC, Toms Fork Prep Plant
- Burning Springs, Martin Marietta Materials Inc.
- J.F. Allen Company, Aggregates Quarry
- Pounding Mill Quarry, Mercer Crushed Stone
- Appalachian Aggregates LLC, Lewisburg Quarry
The 45th Annual Mining Symposium will continue all day Wednesday.