|EIA Weekly Coal Production Report|
|Friday - September 07, 2012|
For the week ended September 01, 2012:
West Virginia coal production totaled 2.33 million tons for the week. Down from 2.41 million for the same week last year. Overall, West Virginia coal production is down 5.4 percent from last year – at 128.6 million tons versus 136 million tons last year.
National coal production remains off 3.1 percent from last year – at 1.04 billion tons versus 1.08 billion tons last year.
· U.S. coal production totaled approximately 20.1 million short tons
· This production estimate is 0.8 percent lower than last week's estimate and 6.1 percent lower than the production estimate in the comparable week in 2011
· Coal production east of the Mississippi River totaled 8.0 million short tons
· Coal production west of the Mississippi River totaled 12.1 million short tons
· U.S. year-to-date coal production totaled 682.5 million short tons, 5.4 percent lower than the comparable year-to-date coal production in 2011