|Status Update on FOC Ladies Auxiliary|
|Thursday - July 12, 2012|
The Friends of Coal Ladies’ Auxiliary was formed in July 2007, to promote coal and its role in our state and national energy policies. The group is comprised of volunteers without any direct economic ties to coal companies who desire to enhance the image of coal by educating the public and raising awareness of the benefits of coal.
Since inception, they have met monthly and actively strived to increase membership to work in this united cause. They have been successful in establishing additional chapters, as well as, a junior chapter in order to cover a larger geographical area and age group.
Through dedication of time, personal resources, and energy the members have:
· Created an on-line store, website and a brochure (www.friendsofcoalladies.com)
· Worked with local businesses for support.
· Set-up booths at numerous coal shows with information concerning coal.
· Worked with the Women’s Resource Center, Salvation Army, Burlington House, Chili Night, Christmas Parades, Women’s Expo, the Coal Classic, and the Chamber of Commerce.
· Published a “Friends of Coal” cookbook.
· Designed “Mr. Coal” – a stuffed black dog distributed to nurseries, pre-schools, the sick and elderly, as well as, used as a tool in the classroom.
· Designed a vanity “Friends of Coal” license plate for West Virginia citizens’ to purchase.
· Designed and copyrighted a workbook for 3rd and 4th graders entitled “Coal in the Classroom.’
· Work each year at the “Friends of Coal” Auto Fair.
· Recorded several DVD’s promoting coal.
· Provide internet for the residents at the Beckley Veterans Hospital.
· Decorated the 4th floor at the Beckley Veterans Hospital and now are decorating the 6th floor.
· Keep the “Treasure Chest” at the Beckley Veterans Hospital stocked.
· “Giving Hearts” project providing assistance to fire, flood, military, miners, and military families throughout the year.
· Completed renovation at the Beckley Exhibition Coal Mine to bring it up to the 21st century with assistance from the Citizens Conservation Commission (CCC).
· Send “goodies” to military out-posts throughout the year.
· Help to sponsor the “Strike Out” bowling tournament to benefit diabetes.
· Sponsor the Red Cross Blood Drive at the Beckley Auto Fair.
· Food drives to benefit local organizations.
The FOC Ladies Auxiliary At:
Phone: 304-255-1457 Ext. 20